Side Gallery

Side Gallery

Follow

WORKS

LUIS BARRAGÁN (1902-1988)

Ceramic table lamp
From Casa del Pedregal (Casa Prieto López)
Manufactured by Hugo X. Velázquez
México, 1952
Ceramic, parchment leather

Measurements
Total height 85 cm
Vase height 50 cm
Diameter 38 cm

Provenance
Prieto-López family, Mexico City,1952
César Cervantes, Mexico City, 2013
Acquired by SIDE GALLERY, 2018

Details
All the ceramic lamps were the result of a collaboration between Barragán and Hugo X. Velazquez, a ceramist who lived in Cuernavaca. They created many pieces based on popular models that he used for his projects. This kind of lamp can be seen at Clara Porset’s house in Chimalistac and in the private house of the architect Manuel Parra.

Certificate
Accompanied by a certificate of authenticity by César Cervantes, current owner of the house.

Exhibitions
Design Miami/Basel, Jun 10 2019 - Jun 16 2019

Designer image

Luis Barragán (1902, Guadalajara, Mexico – 24th November, Tacubaya, Mexico) was a Mexican born architect and furniture designer. He was brought up in the Santa Monica neighborhood of the city of Guadalajara. His family had a farm in the countryside, a place where they spent their holidays and where Luis Barragán began to admire nature. He studied civil engineering and architecture in his home city of Guadalajara, and after graduating in 1925, left for a two-year trip to Europe. His journey on the other side of the Atlantic was one of discovery and inspiration that would shape his interest in landscape architecture later in life. He was impressed by the beauty of the many gardens and cities he visited on the continent, especially noting the Generalife of Granada, Italian villas and the long luscious Mediterranean coast.

On return to Mexico Barragan worked on residential projects in Guadalajara. In 1930 his father died, and he took over the family business. This gave him the opportunity to embark new trips. He travelled to New York and Europe and met with other prominent architects such as Konstantin Melnikov, Friedrich Kiesler and Le Corbusier, in Paris.

In 1935 he moved to Mexico City. Upon arrival he worked on projects that reflected the current international trends, but even in these early projects the features of acclaimed architectural language can be seen.

In 1940, Barragán adopted a new style, his interest in landscape architecture began to prevail. He brought a piece of land around three thousand square meters in the Tacubaya area and in 1943 built his first home, Casa Ortega. The house was designed with a large garden, comprised of many terraces, the intention was to incorporate the construction into nature, which grew in abundance around the building.

Later, in partnership with José Alberto and Luis Bustamante, he brought a piece of land to the south of the city, next to the Ciudad Universitaria. There they developed the project Jardines del Pedregal de San Ángel. Where they sought to take advantage of the area’s volcanic soil and landscape. An example of Barragan’s work on this land is the residence formerly known as Casa Prieto López, it served as the canvas for an ambitious modernist urbanization project, in which Barragán and his contemporaries sought to develop in the area while preserving the integrity of its unique ecosystem. Originally commissioned by Eduardo Prieto López, friend of the architect, Casa del Pedregal remained in the Prieto López family for decades and in 2013, it was purchased by César Cervantes, an art collector and businessman with a mission: return the structure to its original condition. Barragan was also commissioned to design the furniture within the residence. Barragán’s furniture has never been put into production and was only made for specific projects, such as Casa Prieto López. The furniture always had the same simplicity of form, tactility of material, and authenticity that is evident in all of his architecture, and were mainly produced at the latest and most mature phase of his career.

The popular architecture of Mexico's villages, ranches and convents, were a decisive influence on Barragan’s work, reflected in his use of sabino wood (also called ahuehuete or Montezuma Cypress) in his early years. The architectural richness of Barragan's sober architecture is based on a few constructive elements bound together by a mystical feeling and an austerity exalted by his brilliant colours. The result of all of his work is the exposure of the simplest elements. Luis Barragán disregarded the trends of his days and followed his instincts becoming one of the most influential architects of the 20th century

Later in the decade he sold part of his property in Tacubaya to build what would become his most representative work: the house in which he would live for forty years. The house was located at number 12-14 of General Francisco Ramirez Street. It was during this project that Barragán moved away from architectural fashions to shape his own language. The water, gardens, colours, height and sobriety of the projects became symbolic expressions of Barragan architectural stamp. These features would begin to shape the architectural landscape of Mexico City and Guadalajara.

The construction of his house began in 1947 and its modest façade is a clear contrast to the architectural work behind it. The Management of colour and light are the elements that categorize it as an unrivaled work, the harmonious construction of the interior with the exterior allow the gardens to be appreciated from inside and demonstrate the weight they carry in the design process. Pink, yellow and white are the predominant colours of the construction, as well as the green of the gardens and the ochre tones of the furniture and interior decorating.

Other noteable works include the Satellite Towers, built in collaboration with Mathias Goeritz, five large abstract towers of varying heights and colors which are used as promotional symbols identifying a residential area and which counterpoint the distant hills which surround Mexico City; and Las Arboledas (1958-61) and Los Clubes (1963-64) residential subdivisions created for horsemen, both designed with an equestrian character. Las Arboledas features water as a continuous presence throughout; fountains, water tanks, and reflection pools express the element's sounds, movements, and mirror-like surfaces. Los Clubes is the site of one of Barragan's most accomplished fountains for horses which creates a magic play of shadow and reflections against solid and liquid surfaces.

In 1976 the MOMA in New York dedicated an exhibition to him, certifying international recognition of his work. In 1980 he received the higest recognition granted to an architect worldwide, the Pritzker, considered the Nobal Prize of Architecture, being the only Mexican with this distinction so far and one of the two Latin Americans who have received this award so far, along with Oscar Niemeyer.

Towards the end of his life Barragan was suffering badly from Parkinson’s disease, which made his work ever more difficult to manage and eventually preventing him from continuing. He died on 24th November 1988 at the age of 68 in his home in Tacubaya.



WORKS

ENQUIRE ABOUT THE DESIGNER