Manufactured by AG Möbelfabrik Horgen-Glarus
112 x 110 x 44h cm
44,1 x 43,3 x 17,4h in
Max Bill (b. 1908, Winterthur, Switzerland - d. 1994) was a renowned Swiss architect, artist, and designer. Bill's creative journey began at an early age, as he displayed a natural aptitude for the arts. In 1924, he enrolled at the Bauhaus school in Dessau, Germany, where he studied under influential artists such as Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, and Oskar Schlemmer.
Bill's time at the Bauhaus played a pivotal role in shaping his artistic philosophy and design principles. He embraced the school's interdisciplinary approach, merging art, architecture, and industrial design. His work reflected the ideals of the Bauhaus movement, characterized by simplicity, functionality, and geometric precision.
In the early 1930s, Max Bill returned to Switzerland and established himself as a leading figure in the Swiss art scene. He co-founded the Allianz group of Swiss artists and published an influential journal called "Das Neue Werk" (The New Work). His writings and advocacy for modern design principles helped promote the idea of a unified approach to art and design.
As an architect, Bill's designs were characterized by clean lines, minimalist aesthetics, and a focus on harmonizing form and function. He embraced the concept of "Gesamtkunstwerk", or total work of art, where all elements of a design were seamlessly integrated. In addition to his artistic pursuits, Bill taught at various institutions, including the Ulm School of Design in Germany and the Zurich University of the Arts. He was dedicated to educating the next generation of designers and imparting his knowledge and passion for the Bauhaus principles.
Max Bill's impact on the design world was significant and far-reaching. He received numerous accolades for his work, including the prestigious Guggenheim International Award in 1964. His designs can be seen in various architectural landmarks, public spaces, and art collections around the world.