Manufactured by Hans-Agne Jakobsson AB
17 cm x 28 cm x 133h cm
6,7 in x 11,03 in x 52,33h in
Active between the 1950s and '70s—in the golden age of Scandinavian design—Swedish interior decorator and furniture designer Hans-Agne Jakobsson (1919-2009) is best remembered for his softly glowing, glare-free lighting fixtures. Jakobsson was born in Havdhem on the island of Gotland in Sweden in 1919. He first apprenticed as a carpenter and then continued his education in Gothenburg, graduating with a degree in architecture. He was hired by General Motors as an industrial designer and subsequently worked as an assistant to both Carl Malmsten (1888-1972).
In 1951, Jakobsson founded his eponymous furniture manufacturing company, Hans-Agne Jakobsson AB in Markaryd, Sweden, which is sometimes referred to as AB Markaryd. Although Jakobsson designed and produced various types of furniture, his lighting received greater international attention. Experimenting with a wide range of materials—including brass, iron, glass, fabric, and wood shavings—Jakobsson mastered both the direction and color of light. His designs are known for their hidden bulbs and streamlined ornamentation, which created diffused, muted lighting.
Jakobsson’s career was prolific to say the least. His company produced over 2,000 separate lamps in fifty years. Jakobsson’s own body of work includes laminated pine pendant lamps, large bulbous glass chandeliers, all manner of muted lighting, and even Pop Art-inspired sconces. Examples include the outdoor light Tratten S2064 (1954), Estrella V258 Wall Lamp (1950s), Lamingo T325 Celling Light (1950s), his pinewood cylindrical B128 Table Lamp (1960s), BN26 Table Lamp (1960s), and Diana V155 Wall Light (1960).