LUIS BARRAGÁN (1902-1988)
Wall mounted cabinet with four doors
From Casa del Pedregal (Casa Prieto López)
Manufactured by Eleuterio Cortés
210 cm x 35 cm x 58 cm h
61,81 in x 13,77 in x 22,83 in h
Prieto-López family, Mexico City, 1952
César Cervantes, Mexico City, 2013
Paulo Peña, Mexico City, 2018
Acquired by SIDE GALLERY, 2019
Originally placed in the kitchen of the Prieto-López House. The kitchen changed because of the arrival of new technologies, that is why some furniture, including this cabinet, was removed and stored.
Accompanied by a certificate of authenticity by César Cervantes, current owner of the house.
Barragán Revisited, A second life for the Pietro López House, Barragán Foundation, Switzerland, 2012, page 123
Good condition, condition report attached. (minor restorations were made in 2012)
Luis Barragán is now regarded as one of the most important architects of the 20th century. Famed for his mastery of space and light, he reinvented the International Style proposed by Le Cobusier and Charlotte Perriand as a colorful, sensuous genre of Mexican Modernism.
The beauty and originality of Barragán´s architecture made him a legend among his fellow architects, and they lobbied hard for his famous MOMA exhibition in 1976. A few years later, Luis Barragán was awarded the Pritzker Prize, architecture´s equivalent to the Nobel Prize.
Cited as an inspiration by a succession of other Pritzker winners – from Tadao Ando and Frank Gehry, to Rem Koolhaas – he is one of the handful of architects who succeeded in creating their own version of Modernism, by imbuing it with the warmth and vibrance of his native Mexico.
Thanks to the MoMA exhibition and the Pritzker Prize, Barragán enjoyed a few years of the admiration he deserved before his death in Mexico City in 1988. Yet for an architect of his talent, he left a relatively small body of work, which is now carefully protected and cared by either private owners and collections, foundations or museums (in the case of the furniture he designed and produced for some of his houses).