BBPR studio was founded in 1932 by Gian Luigi Banfi, Lodovico Barbiano di Belgiojoso, Enrico Peressutti, and Ernesto Nathan Rogers. The studio was one of the first and most significant examples of an artistic and cultural partnership founded on teamwork.
BBPR’s collaboration worked through respecting intentions and joint efforts to ensure the quality of the design with an approach defined by the team’s cohesiveness. They were fond of repeating: “any design made by four people is always better than it would have been if done alone by each person… we will never reveal the individual paternity of an idea. Every idea is always our idea”.
During the Second world war the Studio was broke for differents resons (Bafi’s death 10/04/45), Belgiojoso (who survived the Mauthausen-Gusen camp), Peressutti, and Rogers (who had taken refuge in Switzerland after the armistice of September 8, 1943) decided to continue the studio’s work, keeping the name BBPR. As their first act, they hired a young German architect in the name of reconciliation.After the war, the studio’s organization became a way to offer professional responses in design, interiors and territorial planning. It was the first time a professional Italian studio was organized following a model of work division, which had been an aspect of the English model, and is that of today’s design firms.
It was this orientation to team work that also brought BBPR to be one of the first in Italy, in the 30s, to work on the town and territorial planning scale, with interdisciplinary work teams.